Mars Cycles Track

In my groggy state at this year’s NAHBS, I met Casey Sussman, the builder of Mars Cycles, a small frame builder out of Oakland. His bright magenta track bike caught my eye but in a world of mail-order “fixies”, I didn’t initially register the bike as a hand made frame.

Once Casey introduced himself, I quickly realized that was no mail-order, made in Taiwan bike. It’s a legitimate, hand made track bike. Clean fillets, racing geometry, non-nonsense details and that tapered head tube. Mars Cycles’ work, at this point, is focusing on crit-ready track bikes and Casey’s bike is a prime example.

Mars Cycles will have a few racers rolling these frames at this weekend’s Red Hook Crit in Brooklyn, so if you see them, make sure to wish them luck!

Leave a comment in the Gallery with any comments or concerns.

27 responses to “Mars Cycles Track”

1. George Campan says:

What’s the weight of the full build?

2. JJ says:

I like the bike, my only personal point is maybe a thicker downtube to match the 44mm HT, not a criticism just my own 2 cents

• Mars Cycles says:

Thank you. For the non tapered team bikes I used a 28.6 top tube with a 31.8 downtube. For the tapered ones I went with 31.8 top tubes and 35 down tubes as we are all around 150 pounds. While I understand your aesthetic taste, these bikes are plenty stiff.

3. Jamie McKeon says:

nicest silhouette i’ve seen in a while.

4. schue113 says:

Is he running a tapered steerer in that thing? Also, not to be a tech nerd but I think that head tube is likely an IS41/42 upper, IS 52 lower. It is BETTER than a 44mm head tube, IMHO. Awesome bike!

• Mars Cycles says:

You are correct. I used a columbus tapered headtube. 1-1/2 bottom, 1-1/8 top, full carbon fork. I wanted to go full internal and preferred drop in bearings as opposed to press in cups.

5. Don says:

Casey, got an email? I live in Alameda and would like to get to know a local framebuilder/visit the shop/etc.

6. Bernardo Vigil Rendon says:

Not to be ignorant, but what’s the point of the tapered head tube? Stiffness? Does the bottom part of the headset go inside, or do you need a specific type of headset to work with a tapered head tube?

• Richard Smith says:

Stiffness, yes, but it also enables you to use bigger bearings on the bottom side of the headtube. These are the balls that take the brunt, and bigger bearings last longer.

• Mars Cycles says:

Tapered headtubes are meant to add stiffness. The columbus headtube uses internal bearings like most modern integrated headsets. The bearing races are silver brazed in.

• Ian Michelson says:

Interesting, could the whole head tube not be CNC machined with the race built in? Absolutely love the bike!

7. schue113 says:

What is the seat tube and head tube angle on this beauty? I like the aggressive fit. Saddle almost all the way aft with a set back… any problems with thread engagement on the rear mounting bolt on the seat post with set back?

• Mars Cycles says:

This bike is 73.5/73.5. No problems at all. Not sure why you think there might be.

8. Brian Fu says:

any website for Mars Cycles?

9. keirinmax says:

normally i’m not into purple at all but this one is a killer!!!

10. Daniel Schaumann says:

how tall is the rider for this? saddle height?

11. schue113 says:

That sounds almost like my fit. 82 saddle height, Tip of saddle to bar 58. And I’m 6″ even. What length cranks are you running? And the reason I ask about thread engagement on the bike is that I have run into the issues on certain track frames with certain saddles and a Thomson setback post. Interesting note since I brought up crank length: the guy working with Cancellara was talking about running shorter cranks on the Record attempt. Hmmm….

12. Matt O'Donnell says: