Our Radar Roundup compiles products and videos from the ‘net in an easy-to-digest format. Read on below for today’s findings…
Full Metal Cycles Megaforce Cam Brakes $310/$340
The FMC Megaforce Cam Brake is the latest addition to FMC’s line of high quality, American manufactured classic mountain bike rebuild and restoration parts.
The immediate goal is simple. Provide parts to keep your favorite classic bikes on the trail, performing every bit as well as their original builders intended. No cheaply produced scrap intended for servicing bargain basement bikes, or scarce, period correct eBay treasures with inflated prices. And most importantly, FMC will never deliver a carbon copy and call it a day. The brand believes that they can deliver parts that simultaneously look correct on your bike, and leave room for meaningful improvements.
The Megaforce Cam Brake conforms to the standards that will make it a perfect fit on any bike that would use a WTB or Suntour roller cam. FMC have, however, made updates that it believes make for a better user experience. The brake uses a threaded post brake pad interface. This allows for greater availability of compatible pad options, as well as the ability to easily tune pad placement and toe adjustment. FMC have also chosen a unique brake arm architecture, expertly machined by Paragon Machine Works, that results in an exceptionally stiff braking system. Power application and feedback are immediate and precise. The cam plate profile is modeled after the late model WTB cams, and is compatible with short pull brake levers. Pair the Megaforce with those Grafton Re-Entry levers in your parts bin, or treat yourself to a new set of short pull Paul Canti Levers for peak performance.
Price per brake is $310 without booster, or $340 with booster. Brakes include stainless steel bushing sleeves for mounting to Suntour/Dia-Compe 990 style brake studs. Bushing I.D. is compatible with large format WTB brake studs which require no sleeve. Intended outer rim width is 23-30mm for optimal fitment, based on 89mm on center brake stud spacing. Compatible frames/forks must be designed for standard arm length cam/U-brakes, not compact arm brakes like the WTB Mini Cam. Rims with a machined braking surface are recommended for optimal performance and modulation. All brakes include Kool Stop Supra II dual compound pads.
Email Full Metal Cycles to order. Tell ’em we sent ya!
Shogun Shido for ILE $600
Oakland-based artist Shogun Shido is an innovative creator who hails from New Orleans and uses art to explore the depths of introspection and observation. Shido’s expressive, free-flowing line work is immediately recognizable. From canvases to murals, clothing, sculptures, wine bottles and more, his ever-expanding body of work bridges all mediums. We met Shido through a mutual friend last year and quickly connected over our shared passion for creative expression.
This collaboration features Shido’s custom painted 1000D Cordura, which started out as one continuous length of fabric before being cut down into panels for our signature Default. The panels were cut and placed at random while maintaining the orientation of the original painting, with drips and splatters cascading down the bags.
This is a limited edition of three bags––each piece is one of a kind, and includes a signed and numbered artist label.
- Limited edition of 3; each piece is one of a kind
- Signed + numbered artist label underneath front flap
- TPU coated 420d nylon welded liner ensures waterproofness of roll-top compartment
- Weatherproof hidden sleeve fits tablet or small laptop
- Middle sleeve fits up to 16″ MacBook
- Deep side pockets fit standard 32oz water bottle
- Adjustable/removable sternum strap and 1.5″ (3.8 cm) waist strap
- Snaps keep roll-top from obstructing view
- Durable 1000D Cordura
- Water-resistant urethane coated YKK zippers
- Thick padded back and shoulder straps
- Low front utility loop for attaching bike light, carabiner, etc.
- Dimensions: 12″ (30.5 cm) × 6″ (15.2 cm) x 20″ (50.8 cm) – (25L)
- Handmade in California
See the full drop at ILE.
The Starling Cycles MegaMurmur combines 29″ wheels with 165mm rear travel, 170mm front travel, and Starling’s award-winning steel frameset. We certainly have given this platform accolades!
Building on the success of the Murmur, we’ve boosted those numbers up a notch for bigger terrain and harder charging.
Longer travel and with a longer swing arm than the classic Murmur, the MegaMurmur is for race tracks, big mountains, bike parks, downhill tracks, the Enduro World Cup, and seasons in the mountains. It’s also for taller riders that will benefit from a longer swingarm, creating a more balanced and better-fitting bike.
The MegaMurmur is fully UK-made, with both the front triangle and swing-arm manufactured in Britain.
- V3 frame design with updated technology.
- Design offers ‘Trail’ & ‘Enduro’ modes from same frame.
- 29″ wheels.
- Brand new MegaMurmur rear triangle with longer chainstay.
- 140mm or 165mm rear travel.
- Built for 140 or 170mm front travel.
- Front triangle hand built in Bristol, UK, using Reynolds 853 heat-treated tubing.
- Rear triangle hand built in the UK, using heat-treated Chromoly.
- Up to 200mm rotor.
- Fits standard tapered forks.
- Boost rear axle spacing (fits non-boost with spacer).
- Seat tube reinforcing strut on XL and XXL.
- Stainless & numbered dropper port.
- Starling headtube gusset.
- Bottle mount on frame on large & above.
- Custom colour options available.
- Choose frame/full build/anything in between.
- Hope, Öhlins, EXT, RockShox, Cane Creek, Magura, BikeYoke, Michelin, Funn, Middleburn build kits available.
- Available in Large, Extra Large and XXL.
See more at Starling Cycles.
Last week’s pre-review of the new microSHIFT Sword group resulted in quite the chatter in our comments, namely surrounding the ho-hum design of the MS Sword cranks. John shared these New Albion cranks as an option for those wanting a 46/26 crank or a dedicated triple.
It appears these cranks use the same forging die as Sugino XD cranks, come in silver, black, 165-175mm lengths and retail for an insanely affordable $139.99.
Check out more at SOMA.
Ronnie continues the documentation of his trip to Ojai, California this spring…
Stuff we see on the ‘net that causes pause…
Photo via @johnprolly
Forever tinkering and perfecting his vintage builds, John gives us a look at his newly-nickel plated 1980 Ritchey Bullmoose stub stem “high rise” on his 1980 Chicken Coop Ritchey…
If you’d like your photo featured in our Radar Roundup posts, tag us on Instagram!