The Specialized AWOL was ahead of the curve. It was part of the Specialized Adventure brand and intended for long, off-road bike tours. We’ve got a soft spot for this bike made of steel, so when Ben shared his, we had to post it immeditately. Let’s get to it!
I’d like to submit my Specialized AWOL into the readers rides pot!
Wolly as it’s known, is a 2014 Specialised AWOL deluxe. Sadly a bike they’ve not made for a while and one I don’t see many of riding around! It’s the perfect blend, well ahead of its time. Wider tyres, comfortable steel frame, mudguards, racks and mounts galore! As comfortable on the road as it is whizzing down bridleways and gravel (UK Gravel that is!)
I’ve owned it for a few years, subtly changing from its original 3×9 to its current 1×11 friction shift bar end setup. I’ve loved every minute from riding down the shops to multi day tours around Europe, Wolly has done it all. It’s such a versatile frame that I feel I could be adjusting it for ever!
Currently, it’s setup in front luggage mode, with the Pizza Rack and Pizza Bag up top. I’ve got a set of Carradice Kendal panniers that I run off the rack too when taking larger loads, or tents and mats. I love that it handles so well with just the front load, rather than that ‘lugging’ feeling you get with a primarily rear luggage setup.
– AWOL Deluxe Frame and Forks
– Specalized Sawtooth 42c Tyres
– Pizza Rack and Pizza Bag, with Carradice Front Panniers
– RaceFace Cinch Chainset, 38t
– Microshift Friction bar end shifter (Wine cork the other side as expected!)
– Deore Shadow Rear Mech
– Hope Bottom Bracket, FSA Original Headset and Seatpost clamp.
– Shimano 11-42t 11 Speed Cassette & Chain
– Race Face Chester Flat Pedals (Flat Pedals Win Medals!)
– Thomson Post and Stem, OG AWOL Bars.
– Fizik Saddle
– Exposure Lighting
– PDW Otter Cages, and Wotter Bottles
– PDW Full Metal Fenders with their leather flaps
– BB7 Disc Brakes (The Best!!)
– Custom wheelset built on Halo Hubs with Ryde rims for toughness
We’d like to thank all of you who have submitted Readers Rides builds to be shared over here. The response has been incredible and we have so many to share over the next few months. Feel free to submit your bike, listing details, components, and other information. You can also include a portrait of yourself with your bike and your Instagram account! Please, shoot landscape-orientation photos, not portrait. Thanks!