Our Radar Roundup compiles products and videos from the ‘net in an easy-to-digest format. Read on below for today’s findings…
Chromag Lowdown $6,000 complete $3,018 frame
Today we took an in-depth look at Chromag’s Darco 29er, the Canadian brand’s foray into a steel chassis full-suspension bike and this morning, we’re pleased to share the older sibling to the Darco, the Lowdown. Rolling on a 170mm fork with a 158mm rear shock, the Lowdown takes the DNA of the Darco and injects even more of that Horst-link fun. These frames are available for pre-order now for a spring 2023 delivery at Chromag.
The cold weather ain’t gone yet and a quality, packable down jacket has year-round applications, particularly if you tour or ride into the alpine. Constructed from a 100% recycled and super lightweight nylon ripstop fabric, Universal Colours’ Insulated Packable Jacket neatly packs away into its own internal valuables pocket for easy storage on the go. Specifically designed on-bike features include slightly longer sleeve lengths to accommodate for the riding position, optional rear coverage through the fold-away magnetic, glow-in-the-dark dropped tail and reflective details for increased visibility.
- Main: 100% recycled nylon
- Insulation: 83% recycled polyester, 17% polyester
- Rear coverage: 59% glass, 21% PU, 20% polyamide
See more at Universal Colours.
For when you want to have your bars a bit higher but don’t want a big stack of spacers under your stem, The Laing is a *high-rise* stem crafted from 3Al 2.4V grade Titanium now offered by Singular Cycles. The Laing stem is 90mm tall, with either 70 or 90mm of extension and a 0° angle. These are in stock for now at Singular Cycles.
Got a Tumbleweed T-Rack but no upper rack strut mounts? Fret not, my friend. This powder-coated steel rack adaptor mounts to the center fork crown hole on your steel or aluminum fork (or carbon fork if the manufacturer allows it) and gives you two fork crown mounting points for our rack struts. The adaptor is drilled for an M5 bolt for the fork crown and includes an M5x45mm bolt (you may need a longer or shorter bolt depending on the thickness of your fork crown) and M5x16mm bolts for attaching our rack struts to the adaptor, as well as nylock nuts and washers.
In stock for $10 dollars at Tumbleweed!
With twenty eight different bottom bracket models in its catalog, Wheels Manufacturing makes something for everyone’s bikes, and now these models are offered in seven different colors. It doesn’t matter if you have a 29mm DUB bottom bracket or a PF30 Outboard, you can now add a splash of color to your ride. See the full run at Wheels Manufacturing.
In this video, Restrap walks you through the entire process from start to finish for ordering one of its Custom Frame Bags, now offered by the UK manufacturer.
Restrap has two main options, which include a single zip with an internal divider or a double zip option.
With YKK zips, textured nylon outer and VX21 fabrics, our frame bags are tough, durable and versatile. Included is a slot for camelback/dynamo positioned on the top of the bag. The bags are finished with our classic label (PU leather/vegan-friendly), with the exception of VX21 bags which are finished with a reflective heat pressed logo.
See more at Restrap.
I’d like to think readers of The Radavist know about Chumba Cycles. John has been documenting the brand since its relaunch back in 2014. Well, the brand has a bunch of news they just dropped, so apologies in advance for the copy+paste press release below!
The above video features ride footage from Chumba’s team of riders and ultra racers, a look into mitering, up close on our 3-D Titanium Space Yoke for our titanium MTB chainstays, and a welding segment with Mark Combs welding up a Sendero Titanium at Chumba’s shop where they fabricate their bikes bikes.
Announcing New sale price on Terlingua SL Titanium Gravel/Allroad model
- Terlingua SL MSRP is $3995, these are on sale for $3495.
- For a limited time when you add an ENVE Adventure fork to your frame or build we’ll give you an additional $200 discount on the frameset!
Announcing new lower-price options for steel frames!
- Chumba offers 3 steel frames all Made in USA
- Sendero Steel 29er/27plus (downcountry / bikepacking hardtail)
- Yaupon Steel 29er/27plus (endurance / bikepacking hardtail, drop bar MTB or MTN Bar)
- Terlingua Steel 700/650bplus (gravel / all road / gravelpacking)
- All Steel Frame base prices are on sale: MSRP $1895 / Sale $1695
- Steel Frame price now includes 7 color options at no additional cost.
- There are now also 10 other Lvl 2 and Lvl 3 colors to choose for MSRP $150-250.
- Or go full 2 tone cerakote for a custom look starting at MSRP $750. With cerakote there are hundreds of paint color options we can combine, contact for us details.
- Chumba is offering many frame customizations on each model, from custom bosses and mounts, to internal routing and custom fit geometry. Build them towards trail or gravel rides or your next bikepacking trip.
- For a limited time when you add select forks to your frame or build we’ll give you a $200 discount!
Chumba offers 3 titanium models, all Made in USA
- Sendero Titanium 29er (downcountry / bikepacking hardtail)
- Yaupon Titanium 29er (endurance / bikepacking hardtail, drop bar MTB or MTN Bar)
- Terlingua SL Titanium 700/650bplus (gravel race / all road) ON SALE
- The frames all come with brushed finishes standard. Included with that is your choice of decal graphic or bead blasted graphics. Anodized, bead blasted frames with brushed graphics or custom Cerakote are also available.
Stuff we see on the ‘net that causes pause…
Photo via @johnprolly
Building up vintage bikes takes some time. John has been chipping away at this Potts, which he’s hauling up to Steve Potts’ shop in March, to do a special deep dive into this bike’s lore. One of the missing pieces was a “racing” stem, with a 5º rise, which was just repainted by Joe Bell and Johnny Pucci. This bike has a lot going on so stay tuned!
If you’d like your photo featured in our Radar Roundup posts, simply tag us on Instagram!