Mountain Flyer’s Latest Cover is Amazing Dec 14, 2018

Cover photo by Matthew Roebke

2018 has been a whirlwind of a year, but in that chaos rose an awareness for WTF and POC in the cycling industry. With an increased traction and momentum, brands and magazines are finally filling their pages and covers with more than your standard white dude. Case in point is Mountain Flyer’s new cover.

Head to Mountain Flyer to see more!

8 responses to “Mountain Flyer’s Latest Cover is Amazing”

1. joshg says:

Mtn Flyer is doing a really nice job. Stoked on my new subscription.

2. Idle Prentice says:

What are WTF and POC?

3. Brian Biggs says:

Awesome — I’ve been looking for something new since I finally decided to quit subscribing to Bike.

4. marty larson says:

This issue hits at the heart of what is ailing the cycling world – diversity and acceptance of the ‘other’. And they did a great job of it. And that was just the cover and associated article. The Foodless one is stellar as well. The Obit for Kyle Ebbit hit many of the same topics. Mountain Flyer has always been good, and IMO this is the best issue yet. If you’re not a subsrciber, you should be.

5. m burdge says:

I don’t mean to be a wet blanket, but when having a woman of colour on the cover of a magazine is newsworthy, that is actually an indictment of the industry and the subculture. The reality is the bike culture is designed for privileged white men. Congratulating a publication for allowing a non white man the chance to be photographed riding an expensive bike in an exotic location is nothing to be proud of. Want to do a bit on something that actually challenges this narrative of bro culture? Get in touch with Riley MacIntosh, who runs the Story Trails programme in the Cowichan Valley, where he leads at-risk Indigenous kids in trail building, and the programme simultaneously teaches cultural practices and language to these kids. It is an amazing programme, he is a fantastic guy, and that is some real bike-related diversity action there.

Have you read the article? The cover image is about artist Brooklyn Bell. https://www.brooklynbelldesign.com/

“My name is Brooklyn Bell and I am a graphic design student at Western Washington University. I spend a lot of time outdoors and my art/designs are a reflection of this passion. My inspiration comes from everywhere; little inside jokes between friends, listening to Kendrick Lamar/Fleetwood Mac, my role models and also what I see within mountain culture.”

I doubt Western Washington is considered “exotic”.

Just because there’s always more people to feature, doesn’t undermine the fact that a woman who is a great artist and also a MTB rider was featured…

• m burdge says:

I haven’t read the article–I don’t have a subscription to the magazine. I was responding to the text above in your blurb. And even if the article is full of nuance and insight and dozens of images of non-white bros on bikes, the fact remains that a cycling publication featuring a non-white, non-man remains newsworthy; that was part of my point. Even that you bring it up says that the norm is a white dude on an expensive bike. A related point, now that you ask, is a reminder about intersectionality, and that just because someone has a TLA (Three Letter Acronym) identity, it is a mistake to suggest you can tick the inclusivity box without addressing class privilege. And it is a fair guess that a person riding a (say)$5K bike with a $300 helmet and another $500 in clothing has access to economic resources and a socioeconomic safety net. I love the aesthetic you chronicle and the vibe you curate, and I look forward to more Radavist content that reports on a wide spectrum of persons enjoying cycling culture. Just remember, not everyone has a bike quiver that costs as much as a ski boat, and that for many people, their bikes are more sawhorse than Mies van der Rohe chair. Thanks for the space and the opportunity to dissent.