Curtis Inglis’ 2010 Oregon Manifest Retrotec City Bike

Way back in 2010, an event called the Oregon Manifest pinged a selection of frame builders to solve common usage problems with bikes. This included cargo carrying specifications ranging from the large and out of the ordinary, to the simple task of carrying a change of clothes. It just so happened that in 2010, the Oregon Manifest’s task was to carry just that. For Retrotec and Inglis Cycles‘ Curtis Inglis, he approached this challenge by first looking for inspiration within his own shop.

Curtis had this Salsa quill stem, back when they were made in California in the shop of Ross Shafer, whos shop, and employees, like Sean Walling influenced Curtis’ own frame building operations. We’ll look at that more in-depth tomorrow. For now, let’s focus on this bike. So there he was, with this stem that needed a home. He had an idea of what the frame was supposed to look like and pinged his buddy Jeff Hantman to make some half wheel fenders with the Retrotec “guy,” smiling on the back and a halftone fade.

As for the frame, well, that’s the easy part for Curtis. He got to work, knowing the design challenges of the frame including the need to carry a spare change of clothes for the party after the show, perhaps harkening to the need for commuters to have nice “work” clothing once they’ve rolled into their office job. Curtis brought white loafers, a pair of plaid pants that he converted into nickers. He then had Travis at Freight Baggage to include the scraps of plaid into the rack bag still being used on the bike today. Curtis even painted the Pass and Stow rack to match! Chuey even made a cycling cap of this material. Bottom line: Curtis thought out all the details for this bike, including many of his friend’s work in his final product.

This bike has a new use now; Curtis carries their dog Coco around town with his wife on their city cruises. I wish I could have gotten a photo of that during my stay, but Curtis had his hands full with unexpected life events.

Follow Retrotec on Instagram.

23 responses to “Curtis Inglis’ 2010 Oregon Manifest Retrotec City Bike”

1. Theodor Rzad says:

What a retro build ;) Aside from Curtis’ always flawless execution, this bike is a pinnacle for a pre-disc, 1x, thru-axle, brifter, etc. point of view. +1 for the BG tail light too!

I love how all the builders and companies in the area support each other. Curtis once said on this trip: “I love spending money with my friends.”

• DaymanDaryl says:

Agreed. This is all the tech I need on a bike (rim brakes, DT shifters, dynamo lighting, rack, fenders, threaded steerer).

2. Chris Valente says:

Love it. The porteur rack and dedicated bag changed my commute life. (RIP Freight Baggage)

3. Bluejaystr says:

What’s the story with Freight Baggage? I thought they handled orders terribly and went out of business?

4. nothingfuture says:

Those stems, of that vintage, will always be favorites of mine. I think i have three on bikes right now?

And it’s been forever since I saw a “new” bike with a threaded headset. And downtube shifters.
    It’s just such a well considered build- I mean, the esthetics are one thing, but this bike has practical all over it.
    Lovely.

That era of Salsa was something else and it inspired / grew a whole new generation of frame builders (Soulcraft, Sycip, Retrotec, etc)

• Theodor Rzad says:

Indeed; as a Midwestern shop rat in the early 90’s, I saw Salsa as the pinnacle of cool vibe from within a crowded field!

5. bicyclecrumbs says:

The screen printing on those fenders though!!!!

Pretty wild. The artist who made them does incredible work and his inclusion in this project says a lot about how Curtis works within his friend network a lot.

6. Peter Chesworth says:

Events like the Manifest and Concourse des Machines move things along. A competition that proves bikes for hundreds of kilometres in all conditions – so relevant to the everyday cyclist. They lead to strong light and beautiful bikes with bits that don’t fall orf.

7. George T Rosselle says:

The “unexpected life event” reveals he has a Wolseley Hornet, the oddest Mini variant ever built. I hope the damage is minimal. I would love to see photos of the car with his bikes.

8. Chris Wagner says:

Those down tube shifters got me all teary eyed.

9. Anthony Pavey says:

Love my Freight Rack bag, had a great Freight backpack too but it was stolen out of a van in Brussells. Any savvy business cats out there wanna track travis down to buy the company and designs? do it!

10. Richard says:

That bike is SOOO right. Building a bike around a stem: priceless.

Oh and those DA shifters…