The Bicycle Academy’s Old Skool New School Tom Ritchey 27.5+ Hardtail

Before we jump into the coverage from my visit to Somerset, England’s the Bicycle Academy, I thought I’d share a very special bike. You might recognize this hardtail from the video I shared a few months back. It made its debut in the Tom Ritchey Old Skool New School video. It was built by Tom, while he was at the Bicycle Academy and has been ridden by various guests of the school. This fillet brazed hardtail features some unique cable routing, clean fillet brazing, a clear coat over the raw frame, 27.5+ wheels and tires by Ritchey, Shimano XT components, RockShox Reverb, Pike and Ritchey Bullmoose bars.

If you’re thinking the frame looks a bit small, Tom purposely made it a size medium, hoping to allow a number of people the ability to ride it. The Old Skool New School program is a great idea and this particular project made for a great first round. Look forward to more coverage from the Bicycle Academy this week and even more Old Skool New School news in the coming months.

… and if you haven’t watched the Ritchey video, you really should!

20 responses to “The Bicycle Academy’s Old Skool New School Tom Ritchey 27.5+ Hardtail”

1. Andrew Denham says:

The routing from the bars to the DT cable guides is especially funky. From memory I think we cut at least one of the hydraulic hoses too short on the morning of the ride with Tom, there were about 5 of us mucking in to get the bike built up super quick so that we could head out to the trails… and well, you know, too many cooks….

2. Camille Clrk says:

WOWOWO beauty

3. dthio says:

RAD.

love the cable routing and integrated seat-clamp. geo-wise comparable to the Timberwolf?

There was a story about it being a degree or so steeper due to a little bit of head tube trimming. haha.

• Andrew Denham says:

Yeah, Tom likes to flow the brass around so that he gets a meaty internal fillet, so he worked on the mitres we’d created to give them a ‘loose fit’ to make sure that the braze “flows right in there”, but of course that had an affect on the head angle when it was all brazed up. It’s cool though, makes the bike more lively and is a fun story when people ask about the specifics of the geometry.

4. rocketman says:

wish Ritchey would put something like this on the market… ( tig welded of course) beautiful!

5. Jon B. says:

that new blue road logic tho… <3

6. Harvey Wood says:

I had the absolute privilege of attending the frame building course at the Bicycle Academy last November (which I cannot recommend enough) and got to ride this bike on the local pump track. Despite it being way too small for me, I was still super excited about riding something that living legend Tom Ritchey had brazed up, which might have resulted in me getting a little #rubbersideup, and now you can probably guess where those dings in the prototype (seriously, my luck…) carbon bar came from!

7. marty larson says:

Such a rad bike! I went back and watched the previous video. Amazing to watch Tom dance that frame on the table.

8. nothingfuture says:

I really, really like this bike. Ticks a lot of boxes, for me.
    I’d be prone to running a fork with a bit more travel, myself- but that’s just me.
    Clear coat over brazing should be a factory option.

9. I do the job from relief of my own home, through very simple jobs that just needs only from you a Desk top and even connection to the web and I am just more delighted than before… After six months time with this work and therefore i got remunerated in total 36 thousand usd… Basically I acquire just about eighty bucks/hr and work for three to four hours time day after day.And appreciable factor with this work is the fact you can easily organize time while you work and for just how long as you wish for and you earn a paycheck a week…….. learn by clicking here how to do it right now

10. I work from relief of my own home, participating in hassle-free gigs that only usually takes from you a Desktop computer system as well as internet connection and I am also more happy than ever before… After six months with this career and therefore i acquired compensated in sum Thirty six Thousand usd… Generally I earn roughly 80 bucks/h and work for three to four hours each day.And magnificent factor concerning this job is that you can easily manage time period while you do the job and for how much time as you like and you acquire a paycheck every week…….. learn by clicking here how to do it right now

11. I work from ease of my apartment, participating in hassle-free projects which require from you a Laptop and also connection to the internet and I am just joyful than before… After six months with this career and also i got made in whole 36,000 bucks… Mainly I get close to eighty bucks/h and also work for three to four hours day by day.And impressive thing regarding this task is that you can also manage time and effort while you do the job and for how much time as you wish for and you achieve a paycheck each week.>>>> learn by clicking here how to do it right now

12. Any news on that Outback frame they announced last year?

13. Bart says:

Clear coat over raw …steel?