I’m telling you, the more I ride buckles and straps, the more I wish they were laces. Giro has now expanded their Empire platform to include the SLX model.
Read the press-release and see more photos below. Loving that color!
Giro Sport Design has announced the Empire SLX, a new shoe that redefines road footwear performance. Weighing an astonishing 175 grams, it features the unrivaled comfort and adjustability of a lace closure, plus an Easton® EC90TM SLXII carbon outsole that delivers all the stiffness and efficiency demanded by world-class professionals. Already ridden to victory in the Amgen Tour of California, the Empire SLX will be available this fall for $350/ €300.
“The Empire SLX is a triumph of Giro’s parallel pursuit of technology and design,” said Giro Senior Brand Manager Eric Richter. “Thanks to its timeless style and world-class performance, the original Empire has been a runaway success. The Empire SLX takes cycling footwear to a new level of comfort and minimalism.”
Like the original Empire, the Empire SLX was designed with close input from world-class professionals, particularly BMC Racing Team’s Taylor Phinney, current USA National Time Trial Champion and winner of Stage 5 of the 2014 Amgen Tour of California.
The Empire SLX mates a one-piece upper crafted of premium Teijin Evofiber SL breathable microfiber to a Easton® EC90TM SLXII high-modulus carbon sole, utilizing titanium hardware in the replaceable heel pads to further minimize weight.
Key features of the Giro Empire SLX include:
• Benchmark Low Weight: At a mere 175g for size 42.5, the Empire SLX is one of the lightest production
cycling shoes ever made, and is even considerably lighter than many custom cycling shoes
• Superior Laced Closure: Giro employs KDL Techno Laces to deliver unrivaled fit and feel. Originally
developed for world cup-level soccer boots, KDL Techno laces hold knots securely, resist stretching, and are supremely lightweight. Laces are also extremely difficult to destroy in a crash, but, unlike ratchet or buckle systems, are simple to replace if need be.
• Easton® EC90TM SLXII Outsole: Working closely with Easton®, Giro developed an optimal stiffness profile while minimizing weight and maintaining an ultra-low 6.5mm stack height, improving performance and efficiency without compromising comfort.
• Exceptional Breathability: A new Teijin EvofiberTM SL one-piece upper allows heat and moisture to escape from inside without relying on mesh cut-outs which can compromise fit and add weight.
• Adjustable SuperNatural Fit Kit: The SuperNatural Fit system combines a thin, cycling-specific footbed with an adjustable arch support system that allows riders to custom-tune their fit right out of the box, without any tools or hassles, and features a thin, anti-microbial X-Static top layer.
The Giro Empire SLX will be available worldwide Fall 2014 for $350/ €350 in anodized orange and white/ black. More information may be found at www.giro.com/empireslx. A complete digital press kit may be found at TK